Assistant Teaching Professor University Writing Program
B.A., Christopher Newport University
M.A., University of Windsor
Ph.D., University of Arizona
Jessica Shumake's research interests include community literacy, archival research methods, and university-community partnerships. Her teaching is energized by meaningful writing partnerships with community organizations and local schools. She has been involved with the teaching of argument writing in cross-level collaborative writing exchanges since 2011. She is the book review and new media editor for the Community Literacy Journal.
- Shumake, Jessica, and Rachael Wendler Shah. "Reciprocity and Power Dynamics: Community Members Grading Students." Reflections: A Journal of Public Rhetoric, Civic Writing, and Service Learning, vol. 17, no. 2, 2017, pp. 5–42.
- Shumake, Jessica. Review of Timothy Laquintano's Mass Authorship and the Rise of Self-Publishing. Community Literacy Journal, vol. 12, no. 1, Fall 2017, pp. 100–103.
- Shumake, Jessica. Review of "Visual Rhetoric for Social Change in the Writing Classroom." CCCC 2016, Panel J. 24. Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, vol. 21, no. 2, 2017.
- Shumake, Jessica. “Archival Research as a Queer Practice: ‘Pull Here.’” The Writing Instructor: A Networked Journal and Digital Community for Writers and Teachers of Writing, March 2015.
- Shumake, Jessica. "Hiding and Seeking Rhetorical Visibility of LGBTQ People at the Smithsonian." Re/Framing Identifications: Rhetoric Society of America Proceedings, edited by Michelle Ballif, Waveland Press, 2014, pp. 221–229.
- Shumake, Jessica. "Writing for the Public: Argumentation and Imagination." Writing Public Lives: From Personal Interests to Public Rhetoric. 3rd ed., edited by Chris Minnix and Carol Nowotny-Young. Hayden-McNeil, 2012, pp. 255–278.
- "The Irritation of Doubt and the Possibility of Change: When Inquiry Raises More Questions Than Answers." Conference on College Composition and Communication. Milwaukee, WI. March 2020.
- "Toward Rhetorical Flexibility: Sustaining Student Attention through Style-Based Pedagogies." Writing and Well-Being Conference. Tucson, AZ. January 2020.
- "Rhetorical Relics Revisited: An Exploration of Methods to Counter Antifeminist Activism Against the ERA Past and Present." Feminisms and Rhetorics Conference. Harrisonburg, VA. November 2019.
- "Rhetorical Pedagogies: Centering Local Community Perspectives and Considering Indignation as a Rhetorical Virtue." Conference on Community Writing. Philadelphia, PA. October 2019.
- "Inducements to Assessment: (Re)inventing Gay Pulp Fiction Audiences." Rhetoric Society of America (RSA) Conference. Minneapolis, MN. June 2018.
- "Doing the Labor of Rhet-Comp Outside the Field: Technical Literacies and Paths Back Home." Conference on College Composition and Communication (CCCC). Kansas City, MO. March 2018.
- "Publishing Keyword Essays and Reviews with the Community Literacy Journal" Roundtable. Conference on Community Writing (CCW). University of Colorado, Boulder, CO. October 2017.
Phone: (574) 631-7958
Office: 209 Coleman-Morse Center