Francis O'Malley Director of the Program
Professor of the Practice, University Writing Program
B.S., Indiana University
M.A., Indiana State University
Ph.D., Ball State University
Patrick Clauss studies the relationships among argumentation theory, composition theory and pedagogy, and rhetoric. He teaches Multimedia Writing and Rhetoric. In the spring of 2014, he was named a recipient of the Rev. Edmund P. Joyce, C.S.C. Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching. He is currently a member of the College Board’s Curriculum Committee for the AP Language and Composition course and examination.
Recent Scholarly Activity and Presentations
- "What Really Matters: Load-Bearing Walls in the Writing Classroom." Conference on College Composition and Communication. Chicago, IL. March 2022.
- "A Framework for Building Better Research and Writing Assignments." With Melissa Harden and Ann Martinez-Montavon. Kaneb Center for Teaching and Learning Workshop. University of Notre Dame. 7 November 2018.
- "Promoting a Culture of Rhetorical Listening: Classroom Practices in First-Year Writing." Regional Conference on College Composition and Communication. Denver, CO. 21 July 2018.
- "Transparent Assignment Design." Wakonse Conference on College Teaching. Shelby, Michigan. 25 May 2018.
- "University Writing Program: University of Notre Dame." Writing Program Architecture: Thirty Cases for Reference and Research. Edited by Bryna Siegel Finer and Jamie White-Farnham. Utah State University Press. 2017.
- "Live, Remixed, and Flexible Rhetorics for Social Change." Conference on Community Writing. Boulder, CO. 21 October 2017.
- "Alternate and Flipped Finals." Kaneb Center for Teaching and Learning Workshop. University of Notre Dame. 28 September 2017.
- "Enhancing Student Motivation with Authenticity and Caring Actions." Kaneb Center for Teaching and Learning Workshop. University of Notre Dame. 15 September 2017.
- "Tell Your Story: An Affective Approach to Undergraduate Education." Keynote Speaker. Kaneb Center Outstanding Graduate Student Awards. University of Notre Dame. 12 April 2017.
- "Challenges of Large-scale Writing Assessment: Portfolios, Through-course Assessments, and Other Emerging Innovations." Panel Member. Conference on College Composition and Communication, Houston, TX. 8 April 2016.
- "Strategic Moves in a Contact Zone." Keynote Speaker. Practical Criticism Midwest. Muncie, IN. 6 February 2015.
- "Ampliative Inferences and The Teaching of Argument." Conference on College Composition and Communication. Indianapolis, IN. 20 March 2014.
- "Synecdochic Representation and Exemplars in Argumentation." Conference on Rhetoric as Equipment for Living. Ghent, Belgium. 23 May 2013.
- "Shifting Identities: So Now I'm a Writing Teacher, Too?" Conference on College Composition and Communication. St. Louis, MO. 22 March 2012.
- "Is Data the Plural of Anecdote? Inductive Arguments in Composition." Ontario Society for the Study of Argument. Windsor, Ontario. 20 May 2011.
- "Questioning with Authority: Teaching the Art of Good Questions." Conference on College Composition and Communication. Atlanta, GA. 7 April 2011.
Phone: (574) 631-1678
Office: 213 Coleman-Morse Center